Welcome to Flagler County Schools!
Research shows that student achievement increases when parents are involved in the education process.
Join us in working towards student academic success!
- NOVEMBER is Family Engagement Month! Find activities here!
- Family Engagement Pledge (English)
- Family Engagement Pledge (Spanish)
- Family Engagement Pledge (Haitian Creole)
ESOL Parent Involvement
- Adult English Classes
- ESOL website resource list:
Helpful Online ESOL Resources
· DuoLingo A user friendly website for people wanting to learn English or another language. There is a good variety of languages to choose from on this website. The only thing that is required is an email address! https://www.duolingo.com
- The Ultimate Guide to Reading Comprehension http://www.supersummary.com/reading-comprehension-guide/
· Imagine Learning: Helping students with first language support, offering support in 15 different languages. Keeps students engaged while learning! Students should have their log-in information. go.imaginelearning.com
· Spanish Cognates: A list of English-Spanish cognates (words that are similar in both languages) http://spanishcognates.org/cognate-list%20
· Read Write Think: Many things for students and parents to on work together. There are games for letter sounds, activities, graphic organizers, and many more things to choose from. Students can hear pronunciations while playing learning games. http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/student-interactives/puzzle-words-30819.html
· Many Things: This website is great for English learners. You can choose from word games, puzzles, songs, and many other computer activities. www.manythings.org
· Children’s Books Online: A collection of books that get read to you. Translations of story being read also available in a multitude of languages. http://www.childrensbooksonline.org/library-audio.htm
· ESL Flow: A collection of activities, stories, reading exercises, and various activities to teach reading to ELLs. http://www.eslflow.com/readinglessonplans.html
· Starfall: Beginning reading readiness website. Many word games to choose from. Most suitable for elementary-aged students. http://starfall.com
· International Children’s Digital Library: A compilation of many books with choices of books in several languages. Books will be viewed and can be read right from your computer screen. http://en.childrenslibrary.org
· ESL – A Guide to Learning English: This site is for learners of English as a second language and non-ELLs as well. http://esl.fis.edu/index.htm
· Enchanted Learning: A multitude of writing and reading activities to choose from. http://www.enchantedlearning.com/essay/writing.shtml
· ESL Cyber Listening Lab: Recorded conversations and questions for daily listening of conversations and for comprehension practice. www.esl-lab.com
· ABCYA.com: Educational games and activities created by teachers. Math and language arts grade level activities. www.abcya.com
· Learner’s Dictionary: Many opportunities on this site including word of the day, picture dictionary, audio pronunciations, and various language exercises. http://www.learnersdictionary.com/
· Colorin Colorado: A lot of information, activities, articles, and advice for ELL families and educators of ELLs. www.colorincolorado.org·
· Picture Dictionary: Internet picture dictionary. www.pdictionary.com/english/flashcards.php·
· Activities for ESL Students: Quizzes, tests, exercises, and puzzles to help learn English. Many languages represented on this site. http://a4esl.org
· Learning Chocolate: Pictures to help with learning vocabulary words. Five languages represented. www.learningchocolate.com
- Parent Pledge (English)
- Parent Pledge (Spanish)
- Parent Pledge (Haitian Creole)
Some Ways for parents and care givers to get involved:
- Attend a Student Advisory Counsel (SAC) meeting at your school. This committee is open to parents, teachers, and community members. Translators are available (when feasible) with advance request.
- Join the Parent Teacher organization at your school.
- Read with or to your child.
- Assist your child with homework.
- Join the ESOL Parent Leadership Committee (ESOL PLC)– Open to all ESOL parents. This group helps to meet the needs of the ESOL population. Russian and Spanish translators in attendance for parents.
- Join Grandparents Parenting Again – Open to Grandparents that are now parenting their grandchildren. This group discusses the unique circumstances grandparents parenting again encounter and offers the support from other grandparents in similar situations.
- Attend a Flagler Family Cafe meeting.
- Parents of students that attend a Title I school can use the Parent Resource Centers at the Title I schools. They have manipulatives, literature, and games to help reinforce learning at home.
- Talk to your child about their day. Inquire about both social and academic issues.
- Attend school events. Check the school calendars and/or newsletters that come home for information about upcoming events.
- Communicate with your child’s school. We value your input!
- Become a school volunteer.
We are a team! Together with strong school–home relationships, we can help strengthen the academic success of our students!
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION RELEASES NEW ONLINE TOOL TO EMPOWER AND INFORM FLORIDA FAMILIES! Click here to access it: https://www.floridastudentsachieve.org/
“We take great pride in the fact that Florida leads the nation in school choice and student performance,” Education Commissioner Pam Stewart said. “Through the Florida Students Achieve website, we provide a central location where parents and families can access the information they need to make the best education decisions for their students. It is my hope that all Floridians will take advantage of this tremendous resource.”One of the website’s primary functions is the school performance search tool, which ultimately enables parents to search by district, zip code, city or other geographic data view and then compare school and district data.
- - Sept. 30th
- - tips and activities to integrate reading easily into daily life.
Contact information for all schools: http://flaglerschools.com/district/schools
2017-2018 Parent & Family Engagement Plans
(Click on any of the following links!)